Musk Ox Safari
Dovrefjell National Park is the only place in Norway, and one of few places in the world, where you can experience the majestic musk ox. Join us in a safari through the Dovrefjell National Park with guides who know where to find the musk oxen. Experience the musk oxen in its natural habitat, ensured that the guides safeguards both you and the animals. This way you are just about guaranteed to see these magnificent animals, who can weigh up to 400 kilos and make unique pictures and memories to bring back home.
Have you ever seen a big brownish rock move? Probably not, but this is what your first encounter with the musk ox might seem like. This large and calm hoofed animal blends in almost completely with the surroundings and it is not until it starts to move you realize that you are looking at a living thing. Musk oxen are considered to be peaceful animals but you will be adviced to keep a distance.
A musk ox safari gives you a unique opportunity to see musk oxen at close range. There is also a good chance to see reindeer and mountain grouse during the hike. The experienced guides will also give you insight in the areas plant- and animal life.
The safari is an easy hike and does not require anything other than a camera and perhaps a pair of binoculars, as well as clothing and shoes suitable for the season and weather, and bring a packed lunch.
- Suitable for: You pass through beautiful countryside and it is not particularly demanding. Suitable for most people who are used to easy hiking.
- Season: Daily tours during the period 14 June -17 August.
Other periods Groups on request.
- Duration: Approximately 5-7 hours. Bring a packed lunch - coffee will be served.
- Clothing/gear: Remember to bring some extra clothing in your backpack.The weather can be changing in the mountains!
- Meeting point: Oppdal Railway Station by the tourist office at 10.00 a.m. Participants must bring their own car for transportation (participants that do not have a car must contact us in advance of the trip).
- Price: Prices: Adults NOK 350, -Price Child (under 15) NOK 250, -
Address: O. Skasliens veg 10, 7340 Oppdal
Phone: (+47) 98 69 32 00
9º, 41', 38.95" E
62º, 35', 34.55" N